Our mission is to improve the lives of Iowa’s women and girls.
The Iowa Women’s Foundation (IWF) is committed to improving the lives of Iowa’s women and girls through a diversified mix of action and funding, including research, grantmaking, advocacy, education, and collaboration.
What makes IWF uniquely effective is our focus: we use research to uncover the biggest barriers to women’s success as well as their greatest needs, and we invest our passion and resources accordingly. To achieve our goals and make the most significant impact, IWF brings together and invests in organizations across Iowa that make women and girls more successful.
Over the past 25 years, $1.295 million has been awarded in grants to more than 200 organizations statewide to improve the lives of Iowa’s women and girls in all 99 Iowa counties. IWF is the only state-wide organization working to enhance and improve women’s economic self-sufficiency.
The Iowa Women’s Foundation (IWF) will be guided in all of its activities by the following principles:
1. Commitment to Diversity: The organization, staffing, decision-making and grant-making policies of the IWF will be structured to represent and support the diversity of women in Iowa. The IWF will not discriminate in organization or any of its activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, identity or economic status. The IWF will serve the full spectrum of girls and women in rural and urban communities throughout all regions of the state of Iowa, including, but not limited to those who are impoverished, incarcerated, institutionalized, lesbians, physically or mentally challenged, single mothers, women of color, seniors or young girls.
2. Development of Financial Resources: The IWF will raise funds from individuals, businesses, organizations and other entities to support grant making that creates positive social change for women and girls in Iowa. We value the contributions of all donors, regardless of the size of the gift. The Iowa Women’s Foundation will inspire, educate and encourage women and girls to create change through their philanthropy.
3. Expansion of Choices: Projects and activities of the IWF will serve to protect and expand, not confine, women’s freedom to make choices in every aspect of their lives, including but not limited to employment, religion, lifestyle, health, reproduction, family life, recreation, education, and residence.
4. Collaborative Partnerships: The IWF will seek active, collaborative partnerships with other organizations in order to pursue shared goals and avoid duplication of services.
5. Integrity and Accountability: The IWF will maintain the highest of fiscal and ethical standards in all its business. The IWF will be accountable to all we serve by making information concerning the organization publicly available. This information includes, but it is not limited to: the organization’s mission and principles, the intended use of donated resources, the names of those serving on the organization’s governing board, recent financial statements and annual budget information, as well as the documents that the Foundation is required to disclose by law. All activities of the IWF will be nonpartisan and without any political or religious affiliation.